C IS FOR COOKIES!! OM NOM NOM
These Cookie Monster Cupcakes are just irresistibly cute and make great gifts for both children and adults alike! Not only do they look amazing, they are actually also very easy to make! You really don’t have to be an expert at cake decorating to make the perfect Cookie Monster cupcake!
I went with Cindy to Superstore and got all the baking materials we needed! The total cost of the ingredients used only came up to about $12 with abundant leftover materials we could assign for another baking adventure.
Here are the ingredients I used:
FOR 24 CUPCAKES:
1) 1 box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix French Vanilla
2) 1 1/4 cups of water
3) 1/4 stick of organic President’s Choice butter (I substituted the original 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil)
4) 3 eggs
5) 24 cupcake liners
6) 24 small soft Chip Ahoy cookies for our Cookie Monsters’ mouths
7) 48 white chocolate chips
8) 48 milk chocolate chips
Directions: Very straightforward.
– Beat the cake mix, melted butter, water, oil and eggs into a large bowl.
– Layout your cupcake liners on a muffin pan and divide the mix evenly between all 24 cupcakes. Fill only up to 3/4 of the liner as your cupcakes will rise during their baking span. The higher you fill your liner, the puffier your cupcake will turn out
– I baked them in 2 batches of 12 cupcakes each at 350 degrees for approximately 15-18 minutes per batch.
While waiting for it to bake, we can proceed to preparing the icing and shredded coconut for Mr. Cookie Monster.
1) 3 cups icing sugar
2) 1/4 cup butter
3) 5 tbsp Silk soy milk (You can use any milk. It doesn’t really matter)
4) 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
5) Blue and red food colouring
– Using an electronic mixer, blend the icing sugar, softened butter and vanilla essence into a large bowl
– Start to add your 5 tbsp of soy milk while continuing to beat our mixture.
– When your mixture starts to “look more like icing”, you may start adding blue dye into it. If the blue dye you use is too light in colour, add a couple drops of red dye as well until you achieve your desired Cookie Monster-BLUE. Approximate ratio of red : blue dye would be 1:4. However this varies with the dye you have.
1) 100g sweetened shredded coconut
2) Blue food colouring
3) Small transparent plastic bag
Throw your shredded coconut into a plastic bag and add blue dye. Rub until the blue is apparent and relatively homogenous in your shredded coconut.
*Note in this case do not alternate mixing your blue and red dye. As shredded coconut absorbs any coloured dye very readily, BOTH red and blue would be apparent in the final product. Instead if you wish you darken your blue dye, mix both dyes together before adding them to the shredded coconut.
At this point, your cupcakes should be baked and ready! The strong aroma of vanilla really tempted me to indulge in these sweet goodness!
First I would start off with its eyes. Using your icing, glue the dark / milk chocolate chips to the white chocolate chips. You only need a miniscule amount of icing to get the job done. Make sure you have 24 pairs of eyes. Position the dark chocolate chips sporadically on the white chocolate chips to give the “googley eye” look.
Scoop up a dollop of blue icing and smooth it out using a jam spoon. Repeat on 24 cupcakes.
Now you can give your Cookie Monster some eyes!
Slice the edge of the cupcake horizontally, opposite to where its eyes are positioned, to insert your Chips Ahoy cookie. Think Joker, “Let’s put a SMILE on that face!” Okay, maybe not so creepy… If the cookie is too big, cut off 1/3 of it.
For your final touch, sprinkle the blue shredded coconut onto your cupcake to give your Cookie Monster a layer of fur!
Now, wasn’t that easy? A little time consuming for 24 cupcakes I would admit though! 🙂
Time to enjoy les cupcakes!
Thank you for reading my first post! Please subscribe and stay tuned for the next one! Feel free to leave a comment / suggestion.
22 Comments Add yours
Dear sam, good job on ur first post!! ^.^
I need to press *like*
Love looveeee…so innovative sammie..and well written!!!!! Nom nom nom
Thanks Ya-Ya! You are too sweet! Miss you lots and lots!
Awww thank you sayang! Wish I could bake some with you too when I get a chance to visit Singapore again! 😀
Love it! 🙂
Looking forward to more!
Yesss so awesome. =)
Thanks for the encouragement Jason! 🙂
Thank you Henry!!! I appreciate it!!
Awesome babebabes 🙂
Love it! And love your blog profile too ❤
I subscribed 🙂 keep em coming!
Awww thank you so much for your support babe babes! It means a lot to me!!! Hope we get to bake some Filipino goodness together one day! 😀 Aings!
OOOOOMG !!!!! I Had FOUR of those!!!! well…. two in my belly and two shared =P
Theyre soo good sam!!!
“Think Joker, “Let’s put a SMILE on that face!” Okay, maybe not so creepy”
you know i don’t like cookie monster (ELMO FTW!) but this is really, really adorable sammie. I LIIIKE!!!
Thanks! hehehe I’m glad you and your family liked them!! YAY! To be honest I didn’t expect them to taste good too! More to come!!! muahahaha
haha! actually making Elmos would be an excellent idea! I had red dye as well, don’t know why I didn’t think of it! ❤ I should consult my beloved Natzie in the future. 😉
I stumbled upon your page and awww.. your cookiemonster cupcake is just too cute!! 🙂 I’m going to try making these tomorrow! 😀 Awesome post! 🙂
Thank you!! That’s very sweet of you! I’m sure your cookie monsters will turn out very cute too! Good luck!!
What cute cupcakes from my cutie BB! They were very delicious….NOM NOM NOM
“I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence.” ~ Theodore Dreiser
“Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” ~ Leo Buscaglia.
In your case, Love is FOOD! So if you miss good food, you miss good life!
That’s really creative. Love to see more!