10-Minute Shrimp Cakes
Now I’m sure we’ve all heard of crab cakes and the majority of us have tried them in our favourite restaurants. But crab meat isn’t the most accessible or the cheapest in price. So what about shrimp cakes? Armed with my crab cake recipe while I strut the aisles of my supermarket, I searched for crab meat only to find none. However, a 1-pound bag of shrimps caught my eye and I immediately was reminded of the home-made shrimp cakes I grew up with.
I’ve recently rediscovered the joy in cooking savoury foods. Now, as you can see, 95.83% of my posts have been on sweet baked goods that call for precise and exact measurements. While I have no difficulty paying maniacal attention to every detail and measurement, it sometimes takes away the fun. Even when I do opt for a substitution, they are usually researched upon beforehand.
However when it comes to cooking…. I play by my own rules! Substituting crabs for shrimps? SURE! No cilantro? Let’s throw in some parsley! I guess I would have to attribute part of it to my Asian-ness. I.don’t.like.spending.money.unecessarily. If I have it, then great! But if I don’t then I’m not going to shell out $5 for 1/4 tsp of a certain spice, especially when I probably wouldn’t use it again! Plus I often find it fun experimenting with different spice combinations. Isn’t that where the joy of cooking comes from? 🙂 I bet if you made this recipe, you’d be changing it up too!
With that being said, here’s a 10 minute appetizer that you can make at home! or… 5 minutes if you’re super fast in the kitchen! Although I referred it to an appetizer, these cakes are can easily be made into a meal! I remember my childhood days having this with rice and stir-fried broccoli. Yes, super Asian! Just the way I love it! ❤ ❤ Or you could eat it as a patty in your burger / sandwich!
Sam’s 10-Minute Shrimp Cakes
makes 6 patties
- 1 pound /500g shrimps (peeled, no shell)
- 2 slices bread (“crumbed” into crumbs)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarsely shred shrimps by using your hands to tear them apart. You can also use a food processor if you don’t mind the extra cleaning to do!
- Lightly beat egg. Add in mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and all the spices. Add in shredded shrimps and bread crumbs then mix ingredients by hand. Form into patties; this should make 6 good-size cakes. Dust each side with flour, re-dusting whenever necessary.
- Heat skillet with medium heat and use 1 tablespoon of butter for every 3 shrimp cakes, then fry cakes for about 2-4 minutes each side or until they are nicely browned.
Hope you guys enjoyed this!