It is quite astounding that I have never owned a waffle maker until now, given that I have always been obsessed over waffles since I was a child. My fascination with waffles was probably inherited from my dead, another waffle fanatic. But who can resist a plate of fresh waffles drizzled with maple syrup on a lovely brunch weekend? In fact, I could have waffles any time at all!
So here’s my new waffle iron, a gift from the boyfie who knows I’m clearly hooked on waffles. Well, be prepared to start seeing lots of waffle recipes coming your way! Let me start with one today…
Coconut Waffles with Mango Syrup
Makes 4-5 Waffles
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (you may substitute with melted butter or vegetable oil)
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until fluffy.
- Add in coconut milk and coconut oil and mix well with a spatula.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold in about 1/4 cup at a time. I try not to pour my flour and baking powder in all at once as I feel that I tend to get more lumps in my batter from doing so.
- Let your batter sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your waffle iron. Spray with non-stick cooking spray, or brush with oil.
- Pour a little less than 1/2 cup of batter to the waffle iron and cook until crisp golden.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 mango, sliced
- Melt the butter in a saucepan under medium heat.
- Add in maple syrup and mix well.
- Add mango slices in and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with waffles.
This recipe can be used in any waffle iron! Tip: If you want your waffles to be extra fluffy you will need to beat the eggs and sugar until soft peaks! ie: You will need to dirty your mixer!