Juicy, succulent and tender, with every bite packed with a punch of flavour that leaves a yearning for the next, a beautifully cooked steak is the epitome of the culinary world. And yet, it is also at the same time probably the most cost-efficient dish in the history of fine dining. With the perfect cut of meat and a little bit of technique in the kitchen, you can also create your own gourmet delicacy at the comfort of your home!
Pan-Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce
Makes 2 Steaks
Red Wine Sauce
- 3 shallots
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- To prepare the red wine sauce, saute the shallots with half the butter over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add the wine, balsamic vinegar and beef stock and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the remaining butter until thickened. Set aside
- For the steak, pat dry and season generously with salt and pepper
- Saute in medium heat at 3 minutes each side for medium rare, 5 minutes for medium. (this was medium)
- Garnish with rosemary and peppercorn
- Drizzle red wine sauce over steak and serve
So what’s your favourite kind of steak? Medium or medium rare? Probably my favourite part of making steak is when I cut through it and get completely enamored by seeing its seductive pink. Cheers to more homemade steaks!